Ben and I met up to talk about addiction and its relationship to trauma.
We went into:
- How addiction is a symptom of Post-Traumatic Stress and how emotional residue fuels addiction;
- How overcoming addiction, managing addiction continuously, and making too much of a an issue of addiction is a dead-end;
- How managing addiction has a role in starting to contain the addiction before starting to work on the deeper emotional issues;
- How addiction has helped you to survive, to cope, through dissociation;
- When you start to address and process the underlying emotions, addiction starts to lessen;
- How people of various cultures have different character traits and suppression of emotions;
- The fear of dealing with anger and how processing anger can help with moving away from addiction;
- The mindset of addiction and how we look for the next shot of dopamine;
- How everything can become and addiction and how society promotes addiction through entertainment;
Ben's website: www.drunkenbuddha.net
Suggested reading: When Society becomes an Addict by Anne Wilson Schaef
What resonated with you of this video? Leave your comments below.